23 November 2012

Thankful November 22

I'm going to finish off my Thankful November en masse today.  Let's pretend I wrote all these on the day they occurred, okay?

Strangely, this month, I found myself thankful for jerks.  I don't come across them very often, but every once in a while I'll have a run in with a real jerk.  While in the moment I can get upset and want to rant and rave, when it's all said and done I usually leave the experience a better person, because I so badly don't want to be THAT person.

Last year is was a neighbor and old colleague, who is a respected teacher in the city I live. One day, after standing listening to him insult myself and my mother in front of my kids, I decided I was going to homeschool my kids lest he one day be responsible for it. I am grateful every day that I have made that decision.

Another time it was a guy at Michael's. I was mad and really wanted to get the last word, but walked away frustrated instead.  But, as I walked out of the store, an older lady was walking in, and as I held open the door for her and she thanked me, I was grateful for the contrast.

I don't want to be a jerk, I want to be the kind of person that holds doors for little old ladies.  So, instead of being mad, I'm going to be thankful for the jerks in my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails