13 November 2012

Thankful November 13

There are those who are burdened with the expectations put on them by all the different forces around them. At times I feel that way. Most of the time, though, I can look at what the world wants of me, and what I want, and make a good decision.  I am thankful today for the decision my family has made for me to stay home with my boys.  I am also thankful for the education I have that helps me provide for my family in the small ways I manage.  You see, there are parts of the world which tell me that as an educated, talented woman, I am throwing away all the hard work I've put in by being a stay at home mom.  I had a man in an airplane once ask me how I could stay home with my children when I could be such a good influence to all those children in the schools?  At that time I was working, probably being a wonderful influence on all those children, but I knew that when I had children I would want to be home with them. I answered, "Because if I screw up my own kids, it won't matter how many others I save."  Now that I know what it means to be a mother, and what it meant to be a junior high English teacher I know that the greatest influence I can be is right where I am, with my children. 

On the other hand, there are those who think that if I had always planned on being a stay at home mother, I may as well have not wasted the money and time getting the education I did and building the career that I had.  Perhaps they felt that my time would have been better spent preparing myself for motherhood. While I'm sure I could have spent a little more time learning to cook (I'm a dismal failure in the kitchen) I will never regret the education I received and the time I spent as a teacher.  For one, I was able to support Jared and I for all the time that he was in University doing his undergrad.  Also, I was able to acquire very valuable skills that today I use every day.  On Tuesdays I have the opportunity to teach a group of homeschooled teenagers Language Arts; it is fun for me and brings in a little extra money that helps our family as Jared is getting started in his career. More importantly, however, I am able to use my skills to teach my children in my home, to help my sisters in their school work, and to further my learning on so many things.  I may not write many essays any more (although I absolutely ADORE writing essays, it's true) but I know how to read and glean information, which I do daily to support and improve my family. 

I am grateful that Jared and I have made the decision, as hard has it has been financially, for me to stay home with my kids.  I am so lucky to watch my boys grow and learn every day, and I wouldn't miss it for the world!

1 comment:

  1. “Too great care cannot be taken in educating our young ladies. Great responsibilities will devolve upon them. To their hands will be mainly committed the formation of the moral and intellectual character of the young. Let the women of our country be made intelligent, and their children will certainly be the same. The proper education of a man decides his welfare; but the interests of a whole family are secured by the correct education of a woman” (George Q. Cannon, Gospel Truth, sel. Jerreld L. Newquist [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1974], 2:138).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails