07 May 2011

Silly Prairie Girl

Every time I go to Waterton National Park I can't help but chuckle at the throngs of people that follow around the deer that walk freely through the town site with cameras and coos of adoration.  Deer?! Now, I understand that to some, deer within touching distance may be quite a novelty, but to me they are really not that exciting.

Yesterday we walked along Fisherman's Wharf, and two seals popped their heads up from the water. I just about peed my pants with excitement!  Honestly, seals?!  I'm sure the folks there that see those seals every single day thought that the seals were just begging me for food, and I've no doubt that they thought that I was just as silly as I've ever thought the tourists in the Rockies.  But still, while I'm not proficient at seal... yet... I'm convinced that those two happy little seals actually came to harbor just to see me, to wave their little flappers and make my day absolutely magical. They don't do that for just anyone, you know.

Besides the seals, on the Wharf there were floating houses! That's right, real homes, built on floats, moored permanently in the harbor.  Some of them were for sale for $400000!  I have to admit, the idea of living like that is pretty romantic, until I realized that I was peering through the windows and talking about their decorating right in front of their front door.   I don't think I'd want to live like that.  I'm kind of a, if I can see my neighbors house they live too close, kind of person.  Still, maybe if I had lived here for school, without kids, I would have loved to live in a floating house.

We also went out to Beacon Hill Park yesterday (I've noticed that there are a lot of Beacon Hills around - Montreal, Newfoundland, Victoria...)  On our way we made a fortunate wrong turn right onto our own, private, secret beach.  We saw all sorts of sea life, explored tide pools and caught baby crabs.  It was amazing, and if we can find it again, we will definitely go back.



And then, as we carried on to the park we stopped at a "scenic turnout" I think everyone should stop at every scenic turnout they ever see, because they are always stunningly beautiful.  I found the community I want to live in. After we walked down the hill, spent time on another beach, climbed back up and admired the view I made Jared drive around it for another half hour while I dreamed of living there for the rest of my life.


Finally we got to Beacon Hill Park, where Eli found a dead duck, which he kicked into a pond, where we climbed the biggest tree I have ever seen, and where we found the greatest little petting zoo ever!  The goats were even more in love with Eli than he was with them.




I didn't take a picture of the dead duck, don't worry.

So I guess I'm not a true islander yet.  I've got to get over seeing seals swimming next to me, needing to stop at every beautiful home and take a picture, and learn how to dress warm enough to spend time on the windy beaches.  Have I mentioned that I love it here?

4 comments:

  1. This is like a fun 2 month vacation for you! Looks like you're having a great time. P.S. There's a Beacon Hill in Fort Mac, too! You should really come see it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it there too. If you move, I'm moving right next to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, it sounds like you are having so much fun! Maybe if you stay out there longer I will come visit you and we can gawk at the seals together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just saying to mom how I think it's incredible that ocean people can get used to the awesomeness of it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails