30 September 2010

Last Year

Tomorrow is October 1, which means I have to start thinking about Halloween.  As a mommy who doesn't love Halloween, I've done pretty good in the past, but this year a lack of money and lack of imagination is plaguing me!


If I could find a me-sized hot dog costume, I know what I'd be for Halloween. As it was, this was quite possibly the best costume EVER for a 4 month old baby! What's that you see in the leaves? Why, that's Eli, as a hot dog.



When Eli was one, we dressed up as the characters from Robert Munsch's Paper Bag Princess, one of my favourite books of all time.  Best ending ever:  '"Your clothes are really pretty, and your hair is very neat. You look like a real prince, but you are a bum." And they don’t get married after all.'
 Poor Jared had to be Ronald the Bum, and Eli wasn't a very ferocious dragon, but so, so cute!

Last year, naturally, the boys dressed up as Buzz and Woody.  Eli would do it again this year if the costume still fit.  Look at Silas! He was only 6 weeks old.


So, that leaves me where?  Charlie Brown and Snoopy?  Animals? Firefighters? Cowboys? Really, the possibilities are endless. The funny thing is, Halloween is on a Sunday, so we won't even be going Trick-or-treating, but for some reason this seems like an important thing to do as a mother.  Any brilliant ideas, please send them my way!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE Halloween, probably more and more every year. And I love a family theme, too. But I hear ya on the expensive costumes. What about doing a costume swap with someone? I gave Cohen's dragon costume to my friend, and she gave me a chicken costume for Ivy. My kids costumes probably won't have a mutual theme, but I'm over it! :)
    P.S. Cohen called me a bum awhile ago, and I couldn't figure out where he learned that. Then I realized it was from the Paper Bag Princess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little hot dog looks so delicious. I wish I had one too, but I may have to settle for a little banana instead. Either way, there is nothing like eating up a little baby halloween costume! Looks like we'll be doing fairies this year. Creative, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. garbage bags? worked for me a few times...

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://jjandb.blogspot.com/2007/10/if-i-were-oscer-meyer-weiner-everyone.html

    I love a baby hotdog too!

    This year we have an knight and his owl...

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm pretty sure i was peter pan for at least 4 years, and then probably some sort of princess for 4 more years. why change it up? just cut holes in the hot dog costume!
    holly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails