04 September 2010

Diapering the Baby's Bum

Can you imagine what the world will be like in 2500?  That's 490 years from now.  Well, if the disposable diapers we throw in the trash every day could talk, they will be able to tell us.  That's right, in 500 years the diapers we are wrapping around our babies' butts will still be around.  Gross!

The whole idea of throwing stuff "away" really gets to me.  What the heck does "away" mean?  It means out of sight: out of mind.  It means, it's wrapped tightly in a sealed plastic bag and carted away in a big stinky truck, and therefore I no longer have to think about it.  It certainly doesn't mean away, because it's still there.  And in Calgary, it's actually pretty close to home: Spyhill Landfill is just up the road from me.  And in the landfill approximately 2.1% of the piles are made up of peed and pooed in disposable diapers.

Now, I'm a realist. I understand that in today's day and age there are times when I need to use those handy little disposable diapers.  I've run out of diapers in the mall and needed to beg other mothers for diapers from their strollers.  I've been on holidays where finding a place to do laundry is impossible, and carting around 24 dirty diapers is a little more than inconvenient.  Still, I try not to just do what little I can, but everything I can, and so, for a multitude of reasons, I choose to cloth diaper my babies bums.  And, I love it!

If you haven't had the pleasure of seeing today's cloth diapers, let me assure you, they are not what they used to be.  While the old prefolds with pins and covers are still available, there are so many other wonderful options that cloth diapers are really every bit as convenient as disposables these days (minus the whole washing them part - but it's not that bad, I promise).   The cloth diapering world is really very vibrant right now.  I'm not sure if the recession has made more people explore cloth because it can be so much cheaper than disposables, or if people are becoming more environmentally friendly, but there is certainly a big industry in cloth diapers right now.

That being said, it didn't surprise me one bit when I saw this this week (not my picture, I got it off the webernets):
Those pampers are awfully cute.   Kind of like all the ridiculously cute cloth diapers out there.  I'm not sure, but I think that after 20 years of Elmo diapers Pampers may actually feel threatened.  Awesome. 

Despite their cuteness, I still maintain that there is nothing cuter than a fat little cloth diapered butt!  Seriously.  Who can resist this:
Or how about these ones:


If that cute bum doesn't convince you, here's an article with even more reasons to go cloth!

5 comments:

  1. Do you use a diaper service or wash them yourself?
    I've thought about using cloth diapers but there is not way I want to wash them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jenny you almost convinced me to switch over! i agree they are better for the environment, and they are cute. but im much to lazy.
    shann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lahni,
    I wash them myself. It's really not too bad. As long as you've got a system worked out, you just dump them in and start it up. The problem with diaper services is that they only offer certain types of diapers - usually prefolds - and I like the other kinds better. Really, the washing is not that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jenny!!! How are you? I see your hands are full, as always. We just got back to Michigan for our last 4-month adventure. Where are you going to be in January? Let's set a date to meet.
    Love you and miss you!
    Erin
    P.S--I LOVE that you hung out with the Paxtons this summer...so fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like "Still, I try not to just do what little I can, but everything I can" I agree. You can't do everything, but you can do a little more. I tried cloth with Ben...really really hard I did but he got such bad rashes. I talked to many "experts" about it but no solution seamed to work for him. We even bought a new washer that could do a double or triple rinse. I just dragged all the diapers out again to try again with Jake hopefully with more success and becuase all my friends who have kids in cloth were potty ready WAY before my three year old....still in diapers... I think you motivated me to give it another whirl...I was squeamish about the washing too but keeping them in a plastic tub with some vinegar was no biggie at all. You just dump the whole thing in the wash. Just imagine the grandmothers who remember hand washing them....eeeewwwww...so we have no excuse really!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails