06 September 2010

Birth on my Mind

No, I'm not pregnant.  Not even close.

A good friend of mine is, though.

This friend, who shall remain nameless for now, is going to have a VBAC.  She believes that her cesarean was the result of the typical cascade of interventions, starting with an unnecessary induction, an accidental water breakage, continuous monitoring, etc., etc., etc....

She wants a different experience this time, and is willing to fight for it.  She's going into it educated and empowered. She's a champ! 


Remember this post?  Five months later I'm still looking for the answers. I've read so many books I can't even count, and I've got lots of new ideas of how to handle my next birth. But, there's still so much to learn.

In the mean time, I've decided to put some of my knowledge into action, and hopefully to good use.  In November I am going to start training to become a certified Doula, a professional birth assistant.  I am so excited!

Studies show that when a doula attends a birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.  I plan on using a doula with my next birth, even though I will have midwives.

I want to be a doula because I want to help women be empowered by the birth experience, not scared by it.

Part of the certification is a requirement to attend three births, as a doula, for free.  Last summer I was blessed to attend the birth of my friends, Sierra and Jonathan Hocklander's baby, Evelyn.  It was absolutely amazing! It was her birth that actually made me consider becoming a doula.  My nameless, pregnant friend has asked me to be her doula.  I can't describe what an joy it is to be asked to be present at these moments. Honestly, I can think of no greater honour.

So, stay posted as I embark on this incredible journey. And hey, if you need a doula, I'm offering my services for free!

4 comments:

  1. will you be my doula. when i'm pregnant, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the most unusual blog givaway yet! I wish I was pregnant and could fly you out at a moments notice to be my doula. I always wanted one of those. Jon is my birth partner...he sits petrified in the corner...so no offense to him I am hiring someone next time! Well, unless of course I win a doula in a blog givaway!

    In all seriousness, congratulations! You will be an awesome doula...I pitty the nurse who comes pettling formula to the nearing 10% loss crowd on your watch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what??! congrats! you will be so perfect at that. waht are the differences between a midwife and doula? i would say you could be my doula, but im not preg, and mine happen so fast that you probably wouldnt make it!
    i cant wait to hear more details.
    shann

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails