23 March 2010

Strings and Sealing Wax and Other Fancy Stuff

The hard part about trying to do a crafty thing each day is materials. I can't afford to go to the craft store for each day's project, but I do want to make things with Eli that are worth the effort, so I have to be creative with what I want to make.  For instance, I wanted to make this hand tree, but I certainly didn't have the right fabric.  So, I rummaged through my craft boxes and amongst the "strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff" I decided I could do the same thing with a canvas I bought on sale at Joann's months ago and scraps of scrapbook paper.  (Coincidentally, I recently met the wife of Leonard Lipton's biological son - RANDOM.)

Our first go at the hand tree was for a postcard exchange that we are participating in.  It was pretty rudimentary, but we had fun making it.  


The second time we used Mod Podge, and cut up the background paper to be a little more scrappy. Eli passed me the leaves and I put them on.  I love hand print art!  Here it is:

8 comments:

  1. Cute! Keep the projects coming so I can copy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out awesome! I saw this and wanted to do it with Ruby- now I will look like a copycat- when truthfully it was my idea first. I just wanted everyone to know....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the leaves made with paper or fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute!!! love it!
    shann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure Cheryl... you always want to do what we do. Get a life, will you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The whole thing is paper. I cut up the red paper, mod podged it on and let it dry. Then I cut up the leaves from all my scrap paper, and mod podged them on. Then I put on the hand and put the mod podge over the whole thing to make it glossy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny, I love your version. I really like the red background. I almost did mine with reds and yellows. You are such a great mom teaching your little one to create at a young age. I could never do it on a daily basis. Thanks for linking back to me, I love seeing other ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails