28 November 2010

The Super-est of Saturdays!

Anyone who grew up LDS most assuredly grew up surrounded by crafts which were crafted, once a year, on "SUPER SATURDAY."  It's an amazing phenomenon where Mormon women get together for an entire Saturday and craft, craft, craft!  Because it usually falls on a Saturday in November, most of the Super Saturday crafts are Christmas related.  This week we decorated my mom's house for Christmas, and as we opened up boxes and set out the decorations, I would easily say that more than half the decorations, dating back three or more decades, came from various Super Saturdays.  Here are a few:





But, I have to admit, my very favourite Christmas crafts are these two (I've asked to get them when mom dies!)

Actually, maybe I will just have to figure out how to make them, and offer the class at next year's Super Saturday!

This year I finally started making something I've been meaning to for years.  Before you are too impressed, let me assure you that this was not the workings of my mind. My incredible friend Chelsea went way above and beyond to create this beauty, and I have merely enjoyed her labours!  So, while it is yet to be completed, here's the finished pieces of my Advent Calendar!
 The Wisemen, their Camel, and Egypt, which isn't actually to the east, but Mary and Joseph take baby Jesus there after Herod goes crazy and wants to kill all the babies.
 The earth; Jesus made it.  And John the Baptist.
 The shepherds and their sheep (remember how I love sheep? Well, these ones add to my love, they are so very cute!) Bethlehem and some townspeople. 
 Jerusalem, EVIL king Herod, Simeon and Anna (they are at the Temple when Mary and Joseph take Jesus there to be blessed.)
Angels heard on high, the star, the Angel Gabriel, Donkey, Joseph, Mary, and Baby Jesus. 

There you have it: proof of another successful Super Saturday.  Hopefully in 30 years my kids will still enjoy pulling this work of art out and reminiscing over the years it was used and loved.  I've only got a few more days to get it complete, and when I do I'll be sure to post.  Until then, happy Christmas crafting to all of you!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, way to go on the cute advent calendar! It looks like it was a lot of work. I can't wait to see the backdrop it goes on! It kind of reminds me of the advent calendar grandma Evans made for all the families when we were little!

    P.S. Guess what came in the mail Friday?? Ivy's teething necklace! Woohoo, thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! We too have alot of super saturday crafts in our stash... sadly they didn't have a super saturday here- in UTAH. sad.
    Also- my mom used to make those merry kiss moose heads (or atleast that is what we called them) and I am pretty sure she still has a pattern for it.... just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally called the carollers long long time ago.
    love the advent.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails