13 February 2011

Blueberry Buckwheat Crackers

One thing I miss while on this Raw Food adventure is breads, crackers, pitas, etc.  Previously in my life I ate a lot of toast.  Let me clarify, I ate at least two pieces of toast a day, but more often than not twice or even three times that much.  Bread with peanut butter was my go to meal, for breakfast, lunch or an after dinner snack.  Reducing my dependency on bread has been a major breakthrough of this lifestyle. 

I have yet to find a truly suitable replacement.  There just isn't much out there that fills the same spot in my stomach heart. There are lots of good cracker type recipes though, and I find I would rather have some fresh fruit or veggies than those anyway, which is good. 


Eli's favourite thing is a creation of mine which I call Blueberry Buckwheat Crackers.  They are easy to make and nut free, which means we can send them with him to the YMCA and church without worrying.  He eats them most often as a cracker, but also loves to break them up into some fresh almond milk for breakfast.  For those interested, here's my recipe:

 Blueberry Buckwheat Crackers

2 cups of buckweat groats, soaked overnight - be sure to rinse thoroughly as they get really starchy
1/2 maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 cups blueberries (frozen is fine)

1. Place all ingredients in a food processor (or VitaMix blender) and pulse until combined, but still a little chunky-like. 

2. Divide onto lined dehydrator trays and spread to 1/8 inch thick. Dehydrate until the top is dry to the touch (8ish hours) and then flip over and peel off the liner.  Dehydrate for a few more hours until they are totally dry. 
3.  Break into pieces and store in a large zip lock bag. 


The original recipe from Raw Food Real World is for cinnimon and chocolate crispies.  I've tried them several different ways, but Eli likes my blueberry ones best, so we stick with those.  Like I've said before, the great thing about raw food cooking is that you can change it around really easy, so if you don't like blueberries you can use mango, or sun dried tomatoes, or anything else you think sounds yummy.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails